A practice-focused examination of teaching and learning in mathematics and statistics primary and intermediate level, using evidence-based evaluative inquiry to explore the teaching and learning of key mathematical and statistical concepts. Includes critical examination of pedagogies in mathematics and statistics and research into the learning of key concepts in mathematics and statistics.
This course is a great choice if you're looking to focus on mathematics and statistics teaching and learning through an inquiry lens. As this course is linked to practice, you need to be participating in concurrent classroom teaching to get the greatest benefit from this. By taking this course you will develop and evaluative/inquiry mindset approach to solving classroom dilemnas, and by the end of the course you will be able to identify and solve problems of practice in mathematics teaching, analyse and turn research findings into practical action and recognise and respond to children's learning in mathematics and statistcs.
At the completion of this course, it is intended that students will be able to:
- se mathematics education research to design teaching and learning that is engaging, relevant and supports all learners' achievement.
- Demonstrate professional knowledge for teaching mathematics and statistics.
- Critically evaluate the mathematics and statistics curriculum and related curriculum support resources.
Currently scheduled classes
2020 Epsom (Semester 2): Weekly Mondays evenings sessions from 4:30pm to 7:30pm
Take this course
This course can be taken as a taught course in the following programmes:
- Bachelor of Education (Teaching) (Honours)
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education
- Master of Education
- Master of Professional Studies in Education
Ministry of Education course subsidies
Primary and Intermediate teachers may be eligible for a Ministry of Education fees subsidy for this course. Click here for more information.