Through an exploration of second language acquisition and pedagogical processes, including an analysis of the latest learning technologies, this course will enable critical reflection on current Te Reo Māori teaching practices, enhanced language development, and an opportunity to evaluate and strengthen the effectiveness of one's own Te Reo Māori teaching practice. This course will be taught in Te Reo Māori.
Te Ao Māori’s current language mantra is Kia rere, kia tika, kia Māori! Just exactly how proficient is your reo? How can we teach more effectively in te reo Māori? In this course, we will focus on growing your proficiency in te reo Māori and deepening your understanding of the pedagogical theories and methodologies that underpin the effective teaching of and through te reo Māori.
At the completion of this course students will be able to:
- Demonstrate an ability to use Māori language accurately and appropriately in a classroom setting.
- Investigate second language acquisition theories, second language teaching techniques and current technologies to enhance the teaching of and through the Māori language.
- Critically analyse and strengthen one's own teaching practice.
Currently scheduled classes
2019 Tai Tokerau (Semester 1): Compulsory on campus sessions on Saturdays 9 March, 30 March, 4 May and 8 June from 9:00an to 4:00pm.
Take this course
This course can be taken as a taught course in the following programmes:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education
- Bachelor of Education (Teaching) (Honours)
- Master of Education
- Master of Professional Studies in Education
Ministry of Education course subsidies
Primary and Intermediate teachers may be eligible for a Ministry of Education fees subsidy for this course. Click here for more information.