An advanced examination of the theory and practice of educational leadership including the leadership of teaching and learning. Emphasis will be placed on the use of a substantive and integrated knowledge base, which can be applied to authentic work situations and a personal practice context. Focuses on the leadership practices that are central to effective educational leadership.
This course is suitable for those currently in leadership positions in schools and those aspiring to hold leadership positions in the future across sectors (ECE, primary, secondary, tertiary, Ministry/policy).
You will be able to engage in a critical examination of the theory and practice of educational leadership, including the leadership of teaching and learning. You will also be able to apply theory to their own practice context as well as offering a practical workshop on improving your own interpersonal leadership skills.
At the completion of the course, you will be able link relevant educational leadership theory to practice, formulate a defensible account of context appropriate student-centred leadership, and apply an integrated knowledge base to authentic work situations.
At completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Explain the key features of an open-to learning and closed-to-learning conversation.
- Analyse conversations by correctly applying the concepts of open-to learning and closed-to- learning conversations.
- Formulate a defensible account of culturally responsive distributed leadership in multiple contexts.
- Apply an integrated knowledge base to authentic work situations.
- Define and justify practices school leaders should engage in to promote teaching effectiveness.
Currently scheduled classes
2020 Epsom (Semester 1): Weekly evening sessions on Mondays 4:30-7:30 pm
2020 Online (Semester 1): Online offering
Take this course
This course can be taken as a taught course in the following programmes:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Theory
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education
- Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Leadership
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education
- Master of Counselling
- Master of Educational Leadership
- Master of Education
- Master of Professional Studies in Education
Ministry of Education course subsidies
Primary and Intermediate teachers may be eligible for a Ministry of Education fees subsidy for this course. Click here for more information.
Recommended courses to take with this one
|Course code||Course name||Semester/Campus|
|EDPROFST 782||Educational Change||2020 Online (Semester 2)|