Examines the purposes and processes of educational change, including an analysis of practices that promote successful outcomes for change initiatives. Processes of educational change in both New Zealand and international contexts will be studied and critiqued from individual, organisational and systemic perspectives. Focuses on leadership practices that have the potential to promote change for improvement.
This course is designed for leaders, policy analysts and government specialists working across all sectors of education (early childhood, primary, secondary and tertiary) who have a role in learning change and improvements in organisations.
It is particularly relevant for those working with Communities of Learning and clusters to affect change across and within diverse organisations. Throughout this course you will identify what may be getting in the way of effective change and improvement and consider ways of addressing the challenges to change. You will develop a theoretical understanding of organisational change at both an individual and systemic level including an exploration of the research of Michael Fullan and Andy Hargreaves. On completion on the course you will be equipped with the knowledge and tools for better understanding, describing and analysing opportunities for change and addressing problems of practice to implement positive educational change.
At the completion of this course, it is intended that students will be able to:
- Identify individual and organizational drivers of educational change for improvement.
- Evaluate own practice against theories of effective educational change.
- Develop analytical skills to examine processes that promote and hinder change for improvement.
- Apply an integrated knowledge base to authentic work situations drawing on own experiences and those of others in the course.
Currently scheduled classes
2020 Online (Semester 2): Online delivery
Take this course
This course can be taken as a taught course in the following programmes:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Theory
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education
- Postgraduate Diploma in Educational Leadership
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education
- Bachelor of Education (Teaching) (Honours)
- Master of Counselling
- Master of Educational Leadership
- Master of Education
- Master of Professional Studies in Education
Ministry of Education course subsidies
Primary and Intermediate teachers may be eligible for a Ministry of Education fees subsidy for this course. Click here for more information.
Recommended courses to take with this one
|Course code||Course name||Semester/Campus|
|EDPROFST 738||Educational Leadership|| 2020 Epsom (Semester 1)
2020 Online (Semester 1)