A critical examination of key social psychological constructs as they relate to the classroom, student-teacher relationships and learning. Topics such as motivation, stereotyping, class climate, teacher expectation, and teacher and student self-beliefs will be explored in order to critically challenge current teaching practices. Through systematic inquiry students will be expected to identify ways in which a problem of practice can be addressed.
This course is designed for all teachers, and newly qualified graduates interested in deepening their understanding of the social psychology of the classroom.
The course offers an opportunity to critically engage with literature informing social psychological dynamics and processes considered fundamental to learning and teaching.
Discussion of practical implications of current research is facilitated in class and in online forums, literature is reviewed and a well-supported research design experience is provided, offering the opportunity to develop skills needed for independent postgraduate study.
At completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand key social psychological theories and constructs as they relate to the classroom.
- Critically discuss how key social psychological constructs impact on student-teacher relationships and learning.
- Critically examine both the processes and outcomes of social psychological research.
- Intelligently discuss the relevance of social psychological research for classroom practice.
Currently scheduled classes
2020 Epsom (Semester 1): Weekly evening sessions on Tuesdays 4:30pm to 7:30pm
Take this course
This course can be taken as a taught course in the following programmes:
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling Theory
- Postgraduate Diploma in Education
- Postgraduate Certificate in Education
- Bachelor of Arts in Education (Honours)
- Master of Arts in Education
- Bachelor of Education (Teaching) (Honours)
- Master of Counselling
- Master of Education
- Master of Professional Studies in Education
- Master of Education Practice
Ministry of Education course subsidies
Primary and Intermediate teachers may be eligible for a Ministry of Education fees subsidy for this course. Click here for more information.